Monday, April 19, 2010

Inspiration Road: Don't Miss Your Exit



I missed my exit sometime this evening.

I felt a wave of apathy, felt uninspired and unmotivated about my work later on today after one of my classes. The main reason being: because I'm paranoid people are tired of my work. I worry about what others think about what I do, and if they're tired of it. The Sequential Art graduate program is small. We see each other constantly and have just about every class together, so in short we really see what everyone is all about.

I am focusing my graduate career on the Children's and all-ages genre of storytelling. Other graduates are focusing on other areas. I'm doing work in this area in order to really build my portfolio. The time for experimentation and jumping around to all kinds of styles and things was during my undergraduate career: now it's "serious time."

After a bit of talking with my roommate, and a cup of coffee, I brought myself back down to reality and realized that I am worrying too much about what other people think, and not enough about what I think. First and foremost I should be happy, and as long as one person likes what I do, it's a success. From what I know, many people like what I do. I just have to put my head on straight, focus, and get the job done. I sat myself down at my drawing table and sketched out a page for a personal story that is going towards my 45-hour graduate review in a few weeks. Powering through the fog helped me get back to my normal, confident self.

You can't please everyone out there, it's impossible. I just have to remember that.

No comments: